Redundancy is when you lose your job not because of anything that you have done but simply because your employer needs to reduce its personnel. There are strict guidelines that your employers must follow and you enjoy certain employment rights which must be respected. If you feel that your employer has not followed the law in terms of the procedure used for your redundancy, you may be able claim for unfair dismissal. Saracens employment experts will review the entire procedure with you and advise if you have grounds to bring a claim. Contact us now for comprehensive advice.
If you have recently been made redundant, or have been informed that your employer is considering redundancies, it is important to be aware that if your employer has not complied with the law you may have a claim for unfair dismissal. The deadline for bringing a claim at the Tribunal is extremely tight so you should contact us as soon as possible.
Although redundancy is a fair reason for dismissal, in order to fairly make you redundant your employer needs to comply with the following:

  1. There needs to be a genuine redundancy, for example a closure of a business, or the company requiring less employees to do your particular role; and
  2. The employer must have followed a fair procedure, i.e. they must have undertaken a fair consultation procedure with you.

If your position was not genuinely redundant (for example, if you were simply replaced by someone else) and/or your employer did not undertake a fair consultation procedure in accordance with employment law, then it is likely that you will have a claim for unfair dismissal (please see our section on unfair dismissal).

In addition, if your employer is intending to make 20 or more redundancies within a period of 90 days or less, they must undertake a specified consultation procedure, known as ‘Collective Consultation’. If your employer has not complied with this procedure you could be entitled to compensation.  Please contact our Employment Department and we can review the procedure adopted by your employer and advise you whether you are entitled to compensation.



UK Employer Rights, Guidance and Advice – Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19 is having a devastating impact on all businesses and in particular, you, the employer. We understand how you will be faced with the problem of trying to …


The Pension Act 2008 – What Employees Need To Know

The Pension Act 2008 –What Employees Need To Know  The Pension Act 2008 is the Governments way of telling the people of the United Kingdom …


A Victory For The Rule of Law – Supreme Court Declares Employment Tribunal Fees Unlawful

Employees who have been hindered from bringing a claim against their employer in the Employment Tribunal because they cannot afford the fees were handed an …


Why are Women Still Paid Less Than Men?

According to recent research, women still earn about 18% less than men on average, 46 years after the first Equal Pay Act was passed in …

  • Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf, Max. file size: 128 MB.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.