About Us

find out more about us

Discover more about our Marble Arch based firm


The Investor Visa

Download PDF Version


The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a substantial financial investment in the UK.

You do not need a job offer to apply in this category. Home Office will assess the application based on your ability to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK.

Period and conditions of stay

The grant of visa in the Tier 1(Investor) category grants you the right to enter and remain in the UK initially for 3 years. Once the initial grant of visa has been obtained, the subsequent type of visa that can be obtained will depend on the amount of money invested.

In cases where the investor invested £2,000,000, after the initial grant of visa for 3 years, the visa can be extended for another 2 years after which permanent visa, called Indefinite Leave to Remain, can be obtained.

In cases where the investor has invested £5,000,000, the investor is able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the end of the 3 years without the need for further extension.
In cases where the investor has invested £10,000,000, the investor is able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the end of 2 years of stay.

Visa in Tier 1(Investor) category, as well as granting you the right to live in the UK, allows you to take up any job or employment or course of studies without the need for any further permission. There are restrictions on the investor’s ability to take a job of a doctor or a dentist, but these are linked to having UK-recognised training and are rarely applicable to most applicants.


On the initial application, you would need to demonstrate by way of documentary evidence that you:

(a) have money of your own under your control held in a regulated financial institution and disposable in the UK amounting to not less than £2 million;

Thereafter, in order to obtain extensions or apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you would need to invest the money in permitted investments within 3 months of grant of the initial visa or within three months of entry into the UK, provided you can prove by way of a passport stamp or boarding pass the date you have entered into the UK.

What to invest in?

On the initial application you only need to demonstrate that:

1. You have the money (£2,000,000 or more)
2. They are disposal in the UK

However, in order to obtain an extension or the Indefinite Leave to Remain (depending on the amount of money you are investing), you would need to invest not less than £2,000,000 in the UK by way of UK Government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.

Restrictions on investment

There are restrictions on your ability to invest the £2,000.000.

Investment excludes investment by way of:

(a) an offshore company or trust,
(b) Open-ended investment companies, investment trust companies or pooled investment vehicles,
(c) Companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development,
(d) Deposits with a bank, building society or other enterprise whose normal course of business includes the acceptance of deposits,
(e) ISAs, premium bonds and saving certificates issued by the National Savings and Investment Agency (NS&I), or
(f) Leveraged investment funds.

When to invest?

You would need to invest the money in permitted investments within a set period following grant of the initial visa or entry into the UK, provided you can prove by way of a passport stamp or boarding pass the date you have entered into the UK.

What is “money is disposable in the UK”?

Money is disposable in the UK if all of the money is held in a UK based financial institution or if the money is freely transferable to the UK and convertible to sterling. Funds in a foreign currency will be converted to pounds sterling (£) using the spot exchange rate which appeared on www.oanda.com on the date on which the application was made.


The Investor visa allows you to bring with you to the UK your spouse or partner and children. They will be able to remain in the UK with you and engage in studies or take a job if they so require. Their visa’s will be linked to yours so when you obtain a change of status, into Indefinite Leave to Remain, for example, they would be able to do the same.

Documentary requirements

Below, we set out the summary of documentary requirements. Please bear in mind that these are just a summary and a specific list of documents with exact requirements for each document will be provided on instruction.
Demonstrating availability of money:

1. Portfolio report produced by authorised financial institution
2. Portfolio report that you have produced
3. Bank statements
4. Letter from a regulated bank
5. Source of funds
Sources of money may include the following:
a. Gift
b. Sale of assets
c. Evidence of a business
d. Will
e. Divorce settlement
f. Award or winnings
g. Other sources

There are detailed documentary requirements for each of these sources. If applicable to your application, we will provide a detailed and exact list of documentary requirements and assist you in obtaining these.

Residential requirements and Indefinite Leave to Remain

In and of itself, the Tier 1(Investor) visa does not have a residential requirement – you are not restricted in the amount of time you can spend outside of the UK while on this visa. In theory, the Investor visa can be perpetually extended every two years after the initial grant of leave as long as you continue to satisfy the category’s requirements, which, in a nutshell, means maintaining the required level of investment.

However, if you want to obtain the Indefinite Leave to Remain, you would need to make sure that you are not absent from the UK more than 180 days per each calendar year of the relevant period of stay (5, 3 or 2 years depending on the amount invested).

If you are planning to obtain British Citizenship thereafter, then there is an additional residential requirement to consider, which is discussed below.

Grant of Indefinite Leave to Remain frees you from immigration control. It means that you obtain the right to live in the UK without time limit, can enter and exit the country at will and are able to avail yourself of all the benefits the British Citizen has access to save voting and certain types of employment which are restricted to British Citizen’s only. As long as you do not leave the country for more than 2 years, you will not lose the Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Most importantly, once Indefinite Leave to Remain is granted, the investment does not need to be maintained – you would be free to move your money as you please.

Obtaining British Citizenship

Once you have obtained Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, have had it for at least 12 months and your total stay in the UK is at least 5 years, you would be in a position to apply for a British Citizenship.

In order to apply for the British Citizenship, you would need to show that, during the 5 years preceding the application for citizenship, you have not been out of the UK for a total period of 450 days and, in the 12 months preceding the application, you have not been out of the UK for more than 90 days. This requirement differs from that of the Investor visa, which only requires the absences from the UK to be less than 180 days. Therefore, if you plan to apply for the British Citizenship, you would need to make sure that you satisfy the more stringent residential requirements for the British Citizenship.

Services we provide

Our firm provides a dedicated bespoke service to our clients which includes the following:

1. We will advise on the documentation for each stage of the application process. We can, and sometime do, discuss the documentary requirements directly with your designated bank or financial institution representative if so required and authorised by you.

2. We check and assess the documents you provide. Our experience in the field allows us to quickly and easily determine any shortcomings and any additional documentary requirements, if any.

3. We will assist and complete the entire application process in co-operation with you

4. We will provide detailed letter(s) with representations as to fact and legal argument to substantiate your application highlighting the benefits for the Home Office. We will also demonstrate how and why you satisfy the requirements of the relevant Immigration Rules by reference to the documents and specific provisions of the Rules

5. We lodge all the relevant applications on your behalf.

6. We regularly chase up the Home Office for a decision on your case to ensure that a decision is reached in the quickest possible timeframe.

Why us?

Saracens Solicitors have immense experience on this field. We have prepared numerous applications of this type and our immigration team, between them, has numerous years of experience working in the field. Our rate of success speaks for itself – we have never had a Tier 1 application correctly refused, and those that were refused incorrectly were granted shortly after the refusal once the mistakes have been pointed out to the Embassy and Home Office . You can rest assured that you will receive the best service available.

Our Fees

Our fees for preparing Investor visa applications are very competitive – the difference is the service you will be getting. Whereas other providers will merely give you a general list of documents set out for the category – we provide a custom list suitable for your circumstances with exact requirements of what each document must contain. Whereas other providers will simply give you the application form to fill in – we will complete the form with you in a way that ensures the best chance of success. Whereas other providers will simply advise you on the immigration side of the venture – we are able to provide, through our network of trusted advisors, tax advice appropriate to your circumstances. Whereas other providers will conclude their services the moment your visa is obtained, we understand that your goal is not simply the obtaining the initial grant of entry – we therefore advise you on the necessary steps you would need to be taking throughout your stay to ensure that you can obtain extension, Indefinite Leave to Remain or British Citizenship, as you require. In short, we understand your needs and are able to cater for them and our fees reflect this ability.

We will provide you with a fee estimate following a consultation with one of our Immigration Specialists.

Download PDF Version

Mr Ambaz Al Lodhi

When I first asked help from Saracens in relation to my immigration matter, I did not have that much hope as I had asked two solicitors before for help. Both could not help me enough and I thought I would have to leave the UK Continue Reading

March 8, 2016

See all testimonials

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo