Two of the big questions people have about divorce are: how do I start divorce proceedings and what will happen to my finances and assets? For couples without children, these are the two main issues to resolve.
At Saracens Solicitors, our divorce solicitor in London can answer these questions and guide you through each step of the process.
How divorce works
What is the first step if you decide you want to end your marriage in the capital? Engage a divorce solicitor in London. If there are no complications, the process takes 4-6 months and we will handle as much of the administration as we can for you, to give you the time and space you need to deal with the emotional and practical aspects of the divorce. We provide clear and timely information so you are informed each step of the way to make the process as quick and easy as possible.
In order to apply for a divorce, you must do so on one of the following facts:
- Unreasonable behaviour
- Desertion for at least two years
- Two years separation but your spouse must consent to the decree being granted
- Five years separation
Once this has been established, we will file a divorce petition for you, which will ultimately result in the court issuing a decree absolute, dissolving the legal marriage.
One key aspect that your divorce solicitor in London will negotiate for you is a financial settlement. This can come in different forms:
- Maintenance: the spouse with the stronger finances makes regular payments to support the other;
- Lump sum: a one-off payment, which can be paid in instalments;
- Property adjustment: ownership of a shared home is transferred to one spouse or the property is sold and the proceeds of sale are divided between the spouses but not necessarily in equal shares;
- Pension order: either the pension is split in two or one spouse’s pension can be transferred to the other.
We will do all we can to reach a financial settlement outside of court. If this isn’t possible, we will work with our specialist accountancy partners and other experts to petition the court to get the most favourable financial settlement for you that we can. Our experience in this area is among the best in the UK.