Saracens Blog

Registering as a British citizen

Immigration Solicitor in London

Under some circumstances, Saracens Solicitors may be able to help you register as a British citizen. This is a simpler process than applying for naturalisation, but you need to meet certain criteria in order to be eligible. We can help you determine if this is a possibility for you when we act as your immigration solicitor in London.

When you apply for registration as a British citizen, you will have to pay a fee. Saracens Solicitors can advise you on the latest figures. In the event of an unsuccessful application, the fees are usually non-refundable. That’s why it helps to engage professional support from Saracens Solicitors so that we can ensure you are on the right path to British citizenship before you risk losing money.

Who is eligible to register as a British citizen?

It is important to check the latest guidelines as immigration law changes frequently. When Saracens Solicitors act as your immigration solicitor in London, we ensure that you are always benefiting from the latest information regarding your application.

These are the current criteria for registering as a British citizen:

  • You have another form of British nationality – there are various ways that you can claim British nationality even if you live outside the UK. If you are a British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject, British national (overseas) or a British protected person you may be able to register as a British national in the UK. We can check if you meet these criteria when acting as your immigration solicitor in London;
  • You were born before 1 January 1983 to a British mother;
  • You were born to a British father before July 2006, even if he was not married to your mother;
  • You were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 – you may not need to register if this is the case and one of your parents was a British citizen;
  • You’re under 18 and don’t fit into the other categories;
  • You have a connection with Gibraltar or Hong Kong;
  • You’re stateless.

Many of these criteria have other conditions that need to be met once you have established which one applies to you.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo

Connect with us

Blog Archive

Browse by Date:

See results