Saracens Blog

What investments qualify for a UK investor visa?

Immigration Solicitor in London

If you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK, you can apply for a Tier 1 visa (also known as investor visa). People who are eligible to apply for this visa are typically outside of the European Economic Union and Switzerland and need to meet other eligibility requirements as well.

If you are interested in applying for a UK investor visa, but the process seems confusing, you have come to the right place. Saracens Solicitors London immigration solicitor has wide experience in Tier 1 visas and we will help you complete the application process quickly and effectively. The earliest you can apply is three months before your travel and you should hear back from the UK government within three weeks of the application date.

Investments that qualify for a Tier 1 visa

In order to qualify for a UK investor visa, your London immigration solicitor will inform you about certain criteria that you need to follow. These include a minimum of £2,000,000 maintained in an investment portfolio, an intention to invest in UK government bonds or share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies (though not principally involved in property investment) as well as an active and trading UK-registered company. Tier 1 holders are allowed to remove any income produced from their portfolio, such as interest or dividend payments.

Investments that do not qualify for a Tier 1 visa

Some investments will not qualify for a Tier 1 visa and your London immigration solicitor will be able to offer more information on this matter before you proceed with your application. In general, if your funds are invested through an offshore company or trust or they are included in open-ended investment companies, your visa application will not be considered. Moreover, the UK government will not favour applications that depend on leveraged investment funds.

How long can I stay in the UK with a Tier 1 visa?

If your application for a Tier 1 visa is granted, you can stay in the UK for a maximum of three years and four months. Once this period is over, you can apply for an extension (up to two years).

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo

Connect with us

Blog Archive

Browse by Date:

See results