Saracens Blog

Ending a civil partnership

Divorce Solicitor in London

You’d think that ending a civil partnership would be pretty much the same process as that of ending a marriage, but in fact, it’s more complicated. To end a civil partnership, the civil partners have to go through a process called dissolution in order to get the requisite court order that legally ends the relationship. They can also get a judicial separation if they’d rather.

Generally speaking, in order to get a dissolution order, both partners need to have agreed to end their partnership. The process is much smoother when you have the help of a good divorce solicitor in London, such as us at Saracens Solicitors.

Both partners need their own divorce solicitor in London to help them prepare the paperwork that needs to be submitted to the court in order to get permission to dissolve their partnership.

Dissolving a civil partnership is much less stressful if the partners are in broad agreement about what is going to happen to the children and paying for their upkeep. The divorce solicitor in London can also help with apportioning money and property, as the law has a specific deadline for this.

Grounds for terminating a civil partnership

The reasons for ending a civil partnership are very like for divorces, except that adultery is not a valid reason. Unreasonable behaviour, desertion or separation are valid grounds.

The legal process

This starts with filing an application for dissolution. As your divorce solicitor in London, Saracens Solicitors can help you decide on the most suitable grounds for dissolution and help with filling in the forms. Once we have filed the application with the court, a copy of it will be sent by the court to your partner. If they are in agreement with the dissolution, we then apply for a conditional order.

Conditional order

This is the legal document on which you both declare your mutual desire to separate so that the dissolution can proceed. If one of you does not agree, you can contest the conditional order. If you both agree, one of you then applies for the final order, which is granted when the court decides that everything has been done properly, particularly seeing to the needs of any children.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo

Connect with us

Blog Archive

Browse by Date:

See results