Saracens Blog

Common steps to getting a divorce

Step of Getting Divorce

There are several different routes to getting a divorce, and they vary depending on the circumstances involved. However, all have steps in common, which will be very familiar to a divorce solicitor in London. Let’s take a look at those steps and how a divorce solicitor in London can help you move smoothly through them.

The petition

Step one is invariably the sending or receiving of a petition for divorce. If you are the person sending the petition, then you need to fill in a D8 form. This form is available online or from the family court. Form D8 requires you to supply biographical details, dates and grounds for divorce.

As a well renowned divorce solicitor in London, Saracens Solicitors can help you to fill in this form. Getting legal help with form D8 is always a good idea, if you have any reason to believe that there is a chance your application for divorce may be disputed. Anything you write on this form can later be used in court during the divorce proceedings, so it is important to address any issues correctly and to select the right facts for divorce to be submitted for the kind of divorce being sought.

The divorce papers

The information you put on form D8 goes into the divorce papers that your partner is then served with. Your spouse needs to acknowledge receiving the papers and say whether or not they agree to the divorce. If they agree, your divorce solicitor in London can help move the divorce forward. If your spouse disagrees, you may need to go to court before the necessary decree can be issued.


The Decree Nisi states that the Court can see no reason why you cannot divorce. You can apply for a Decree Nisi regardless of whether or not you have your partner’s agreement to the divorce. However, the decree may not be granted until a Court has heard the case if your spouse defends the divorce. Once the Decree Nisi is pronounced in Court, you need to wait for six weeks and one day before you can make an application for Decree Absolute. When the Decree Absolute is issued, your marriage is deemed to be dissolved.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo

Connect with us

Blog Archive

Browse by Date:

See results