Saracens Blog

Children and divorce

Divorce Solicitor in London

Divorce is difficult for anyone and can be even more so when children are involved. When Saracens Solicitors is acting as your divorce solicitor in London, we take care of the administrative and legal details so you can feel confident about the arrangements surrounding your children.

We are members of Resolution. This is an organisation of 6,500 family lawyers and other professionals who have pledged their process to the constructive resolution of family disputes. We follow a Code of Practice that “promotes a non-confrontational approach to family problems”. These guidelines promote solutions that take everyone’s needs into account and place any children at the centre of the decision making.

Contact and access

One of the most common issues that Saracens Solicitors deal with as a divorce solicitor in London is access to children. We offer mediation to try to come to an agreement that suits all parties. Often this is a good idea even if there is no particular conflict because it creates clarity for everyone involved. It means that there is an agreement in place for future reference in case of dispute. We can help you to get the agreement incorporated into a Court order so that it becomes legally binding.

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility is automatically granted to all birth mothers. Fathers who are on the child’s birth certificate also have parental responsibility if the birth was registered on or after 1st December 2003. Divorce does not affect parental responsibility.

However, if a couple with a child are not married then they separate and the father is not on the birth certificate, this will need to be tackled with the help of a divorce solicitor in London, like Saracens Solicitors, during the separation process. The father will need to acquire parental responsibility. There are several ways to do this. It is relatively straightforward if the mother agrees to the process.

Residence and custody

If you can meet your child’s needs for living and believe that they are emotionally better off residing full time with you then you may wish to apply for a child arrangements order for residence (which used to be more commonly known as custody). Saracens Solicitors can help you with this process. You will need to go through mediation first as this is a requirement of the court, except in unusual circumstances.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo

Connect with us

Blog Archive

Browse by Date:

See results