Saracens Blog

Dealing with a tenant dispute

Commercial Solicitor in London

If you are caught in a tenant dispute, your commercial lease solicitor in London, Saracens Solicitors, is here to help you. We understand that in the landlord business, relationships between the tenant and yourself are very important.

If a tenant-landlord relationship turns sour for any reason, it’s important for you to seek appropriate legal help from a commercial lease solicitor so the problem is resolved efficiently.

Reasons for tenant disputes

Tenant disputes can happen for a wide range of reasons like:

  • The property needs refurbishment, but the tenant doesn’t want to move;
  • The rent not being paid on time, or at all;
  • The tenant is sub-letting the property without permission;
  • The tenant is trying to end the lease before the agreed time.

Our aim at Saracens Solicitors is to resolve your issue in a way that best suits you. Resolving a tenant-landlord dispute quickly is often in both party’s best interests.

Evicting a commercial tenant

Business owners know that having a long-term, reliable tenant is the best, but sometimes we have to take action to find a new tenant. Your commercial lease solicitor in London can help you move onto another reliable tenant.

Commercial tenants don’t have the same protections from the law that residential tenants have, so moving them out shouldn’t be as difficult as it is with a normal residential tenant.

One of the most important aspects when trying to evict a problematic tenant is sticking to the terms you set when you made the initial tenancy agreement. If the tenant has broken any of the rules of the lease agreement, it could help you gain an advantage when it comes time to evict the tenant.

Your commercial lease solicitor in London will usually advise you to do the following:

  • Review your initial lease agreement to determine if the tenant has given any grounds for eviction;
  • Notify the tenant that there is a problem and of your intent to evict them if the problem isn’t solved within three days;
  • If the problem isn’t solved within the three-day ‘cure period’ you can file an eviction case in the county court;
  • Ask the court for a writ of possession to evict your tenant.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Law Society Excellence Awards 2013 Shortlisted logo The Law Society Excellence Awards 2015 Shortlisted logo

Connect with us

Blog Archive

Browse by Date:

See results